Sunday 30 September 2018

MATCH REPORT: Cruel defeat for Yeovil at West Ham Women

Yeovil Town Ladies scored their first league goal of the season away at West Ham Ladies but Ellie Mason's powerful finish was not enough as substitute Rosie Kmita condemned the Glovers to defeat.

Yeovil made two changes from their midweek defeat against Arsenal just over a week ago with Amber Gaylor and Shannon Albuery starting in place of Monique Fischer and Georgia Evans. 

The Glovers started strongly and almost took the lead after nine minutes. Olivia Fergusson put West Ham goalkeeper Becky Spencer under pressure and snatched the ball, playing it through to Albuery. From a tight angle the new signing could not quite take advantage and shot just wide of the post. 

Centre half Hannah Short was a threat all match from free kicks and her first of the afternoon found Amy Goddard whose header sailed just over as the half hour mark approached. 

Short then decided to try and take on the role of striker and hit the ball from just past the half way line. Spencer was left stranded in the home side's goal and her shot very nearly dipped underneath for a spectacular opener. 

On 33 minutes, Yeovil thought they had taken the lead after Amber Gaylor's excellent through ball found Fergusson who slotted home. But, the referee ruled the effort out for offside. 

Minutes later, in this end-to-end match, West Ham almost took the lead themselves but found themselves up against Megan Walsh, who had an excellent game. 

The shot-stopper got down to her left and parried Gilly Flaherty's shot from a corner away. 

It was a frantic end to the first half as Yeovil had a well-founded appeal for a penalty waved away, despite what looked like handball inside the box. 

Straight from the controversy, the home side broke away, forcing Walsh to save well again before Megan Alexander cleared the follow-up effort off the line. 

It was all to play for in the second half and Yeovil started well with Olivia Fergusson turning well inside the box, only for her effort to sail again agonisingly wide of the post again. 

Walsh was again in superb form and her fingertip save from Jane Ross was slightly overshadowed by the home side capitalising on the resulting corner and taking the lead. 

Leanne Kiernan volleyed the ball home from just inside the box.

But the chances kept on coming for the visitors and it was fitting from the performance that one of Short's excellent free kicks provided Yeovil's first league goal of the campaign. 

Ellie Mason latched onto the ball inside the box and made no mistake with her emphatic finish. It was the least the ladies deserved but the hard work was to be cruelly undone just a minute later- with just nine minutes left to play. 

Rosie Kmita broke free and scored the hosts second of the afternoon with another emphatic finish. 

Yeovil still didn't let the setback get to them and could have equalised in added time when Gaylor played through Fergusson who couldn't quite convert when one-on-one with the goalkeeper. 

The defeat was marginal and shows huge progress with the Glovers deserving one, if not three, points. 

Next up, the Glovers travel to Liverpool in search of their first three points of the WSL season.